Tuesday, March 11, 2014

TWOSOME TWOSDAY: MAYBE SOMEDAY BY COLLEEN HOOVER


Maybe Someday
by Colleen Hoover
Release Date:  March 18, 2014

  
(Pre-order)


Synopsis

At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to his playing his guitar every day out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…

From the author of the New York Times bestsellers Slammed, Point of Retreat,Hopeless, This Girl, and Losing Hope, Maybe Someday is destined to be another bestseller and long-lasting fan favorite.

** We each received review copies from the publisher for our honest opinions **

Heather's Review
5- "...for her I bend, for you I break" Smooches!!!

How can two good people who both have such good intentions end up with feelings, derived from all the goodness, that are so incredibly bad?
Ridge and Sydney have only known each other a few short weeks when Sydney discovers that her boyfriend Hunter is cheating on her with her best friend and roommate, Tori.  She not only has a broken heart but finds herself homeless.  In need of another roommate and inexplicably drawn to Sydney, Ridge insists that she move in to the apartment that he shares with 2 friends.  Neither is in any position for a romantic relationship, but feelings can't always be controlled.

Desire is easy to fight.  Especially when the only weapon desire possesses is attraction… It’s not so easy when you’re trying to win a war against the heart.
And so ensues a battle of wills.  The will of the mind to over-power the heart.  The chemistry between Ridge and Sydney is electric and it is WRONG.  But, I didn’t care.  Where I normally have very strong morals, I wanted to abandon them all in this book.  What is Colleen doing to me???  The worst part is that the person who stands to get hurt is a SAINT.  I still DIDN’T care!


Maybe Someday was a deeply emotional read for me.  I felt such a connection to Ridge, especially.  There is a big WHAT?!?! moment very early on that just endeared him to me even more.  While a lot of his choices are certainly questionable, I felt for him.  I believe that he truly was a victim of circumstance.  Ridge is just trying to navigate an impossible situation without making any waves.  


No waves?  Of course there are waves!  This book is wave after wave of intense emotion.  There are moments so tender that they had my heart fluttering.  Moments so nerve-wracking, I threatened to break a sweat.  There are moments of extreme heartbreak and indescribable love.  I laughed.... I swooned... and I cried. 

Lines are drawn, but then they fade.  For her I bend, for you I break.
The lyrics in Maybe Someday are beautiful.  They were relevant and added so much to the story.  I loved watching Sydney and Ridge’s feelings unfold through their music.  It is where they felt the most free to be completely honest with one another and it was beautiful.

I’ve tried really hard not to give away too much.  There are a few shockers that I definitely did not see coming and I do not want to spoil those for you!  This book is special, as are all of Mrs. Hoover’s books.  Maybe Someday is very different from Hopeless and Slammed.  Where Will and Holder were ideal… perfect really.  Ridge is flawed.  Despite his flaws I loved him just the same… possibly *gasp*… more??  Read this book, ladies.  You will not be disappointed!  



Selene's Review


4.5 - Say When - Smooches

After discovering her roommate and boyfriend are messing around, Sydney sets off in the rain with two suitcases stuffed with her belongings, no car, no money, and absolutely no idea what to do or where to go.  Her neighbor / acquaintance Ridge takes pity on her and invites her to stay with him and his two roommates.  His motives aren't completely selfless ... he's discovered Sydney has mad song writing skills and he desperately needs lyrics for his band.  They agree she can stay with them until she gets things figured out if she will help him work on lyrics.

As they spend more and more time together, the attraction between Ridge and Sydney only grows stronger.  Ridge arrogantly thinks he is stronger than the attraction they share and does very little to combat it even though he is very much in love and very committed to his girlfriend (or so he thinks).
That's not her fault, though.  I'm not even sure if it's my fault.  It's nature's fault, because attraction is an ugly beast, and I'll be damned if I don't conquer it.  -Ridge
As much as I liked this book, I struggled with it at times.  I have a really hard time with cheating ... especially when the "cheaters" don't handle the situation the way *I* think is the *right* way.  As much as I liked the cheaters in this book and as much as I wanted them together, I didn't like the way they went about their business.   Especially Ridge.  He was, at times, the king of BS .... I felt like kicking his arse on several occasions. 
I know that the way I think about her and feel about her is wrong, but I struggle so much with how right it feels when I'm with her.  - Ridge
I blame it on Colleen though ... she has spoiled me with PERFECT book boyfriends in the past and I may have been expecting Ridge to be another.    *But* the fact that I wasn't completely put off by Ridge and Sydney's choices is a huge salute to Colleen and her ability to craft amazing characters you can't help but like .... even when they do something you really don't like.   And, Gawd help me, I was rooting for Ridge and Sydney ... I loved the evolution of their relationship ... I completely fell in love with them falling in love.
Despite how hard we tried to fight it, all of those things happened between us because our feelings for each other are becoming so much stronger than our desire.  Desire is easy to fight.  Especially when the only weapon desire possesses is attraction. - Sydney
True, desire is easy to fight, only they didn't fight it!  They just let desire lead to more.  

And more can only lead to trouble ...  

Colleen is one of my "go to" authors .... I will read anything she writes because she is brilliant AND consistent.  Her stories are fresh and captivating, her characters are engaging and complex.  And, she writes some of the BEST book boyfriends out there.  I've always had a very black and white attitude about cheating.  This book, Ridge and Sydney's story however, challenged my thinking and I loved that!  I love when a book makes me think twice about something I feel strongly about.  And, Maybe Someday did just that!



No comments:

Post a Comment