Friday, August 23, 2013

Emi Lost and Found Books 1-3 by Lori Otto


Synopsis 
This is a special, one-volume collection of the Emi Lost & Found series books: Lost and Found, Time Stands Still and Never Look Back.

This collection also contains two bonus short stories, based on the series.

EMI LOST & FOUND series
LOST AND FOUND (book one) - When artist Nate Wilson falls in love, he falls hard. The problem is, he’s only been in love once, and the girl of his affections is his best friend, Emi Hennigan. In high school, the two bonded over painful breakups, and swore off a relationship to save their friendship. Thirteen years later, Nate has had more than his share of emotionally-unfulfilling, sexual relationships with beautiful women to distract himself from his true romantic feelings.

When a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity takes Nate away from his friend and his comfortable lifestyle, he is forced to reflect on the distinct void that Emi’s absence leaves in his life. To Nate’s surprise, Emi has a similar experience; but as the friends embark upon their journey toward happiness together, destiny reveals other plans for Emi.

TIME STANDS STILL (book two) - Depression threatens all the relationships in Emi Hennigan’s life after a near death experience leaves her injured and feeling alone in a world she barely recognizes. On a night that is supposed to signify a new beginning in her life, she loses everything she loves.

It’s on that very same night, though, that Emi has a chance meeting with a man from her past who has the power to bring her more happiness than she’s ever known. Jack Holland is on a mission to rescue Emi from the pain that’s been consuming her, but his patience is tested as Emi holds on to the memory of the only man she’s ever truly loved.

NEVER LOOK BACK (book three) - Jack Holland finally has everything a man could want. After a lengthy courtship that has required persistence and self-restraint, Emi Hennigan– the woman Jack has been fantasizing about since college– has fallen in love with him. Together, the couple sets out to create their own happily-ever-after.

It’s only when Emi delivers some unwelcome news that Jack begins to question everything about the woman he loves. It will take a considerable amount of understanding and sacrifice for Jack to accept the future Emi can offer him– a future he never imagined for himself.

SHORT STORIES
LOVE, LOST
Ten years after his first encounter with the woman of his dreams, Jack espies Emi across a hotel lobby and reflects upon the missed opportunity of the one night they had together in college. In an effort to redeem himself, he attempts to rekindle the flame that had been ignited between them. Just as the two share a moment that leaves them both breathless, Emi's reality catches up to her.

IN THE MIND OF A DYING MAN
In the last moments of his life, a man cherishes all the moments he had with the woman he loves


Purchase the complete series on Amazon

Purchase the complete series on Barnes & Noble  


Review

 Review by Heather

4.5 Soul-touching, gut-wrenching, heartbreaking AMAZING smooches!!
 


 ***NOTE*** This review is on all three books.  I tried not to include any major details in any of the reviews but if you do not want any spoilers then, read each review before that book!  If you read all three now, you may spoil some of it for yourself!
 
Book 1- Lost and Found

Emi and Nate have been best friends for thirteen years.  They have watched each other in and out of relationships and both secretly harbor feelings for the other.  Nate more-so than Emi.  Nate has loved Emi since the beginning and Emi only just discovering she may feel something more than friendship for her BFF.

This book was a damned train wreck that I could not turn my head away from.  My overall state was extreme frustration... think Kiera from Thoughtless and that is how I felt.  Nate is in and out of so many relationships and falls in love so easily.  He won't risk his friendship with Emi by pursuing a relationship with her.  She has set the standard for true love pretty high and he is scared that he can't live up to it.  So rather than do anything about it, he keeps himself occupied with the latest love of his life.

Emi is jealous...  She is hurt by Nate's dating.  When his girlfriends are not so accepting of her friendship with Nate, it causes a strain in their relationship.  What do they say?  Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

My first tears in this series were shed over the big showdown with Nate, Kiersten and Emi!  I won't elaborate but you will know when you reach it.  OMG this is where my emotional connection really started with this series.  I felt punched in the gut! 

Stubbornness and jealousy are tearing their friendship apart.  For all that Nate drove me bat-shit crazy, I managed to completely fall in love with him in the last 15-20%
 

 
 “one transcendent kiss
that later makes lovers take
soft breaths, holding hands”




Book 2- Time Stands Still

This is the masterpiece of this trilogy.  There are not enough stars, or in our case smooches, to rate this book.

It is really hard to express how affected I was by this book. I feel like I literally had my heart crushed over and over and over. I grieved. I cried more than I have ever cried reading a book. Don't get me wrong, lots of books have touched me and brought me to tears. This book was brutal... Most books will break your heart and quickly put it back together. This is not that book. Emi's reaction is SO real.. Her loss so great and her pain all consuming, gut-wrenching,... just heartbreaking.


 "...love ya, Em. Hold me."

HOLY SHIT! Grab the tissue and buckle up for a LOOOOONG cry.

The first few pages of Time Stands Still broke my heart... and by the end of the first chapter it was CRUSHED.  I felt like I was living my worst nightmare... truly experiencing it with Emi.

He had changed me for the better. He showed me love, like I never knew it... only to have it stolen from me way too soon. We didn't have enough time.

How do you pick up the pieces of your life, when you have lost your reason to live?

"Are you hurt?"
"Yes."
Where?" he asks, his hands lightly touching my shoulders.
"My heart," I exhale in a sob."


SOB SOB SOB SOB... I cried literally for HOURS.  Just when it seemed like things would settle down. WHAM! It is exactly how I imagine this type of loss would be. You don't get over it quickly.. its not something that will ever truly heal.

"...I know I'll never stop loving you. I can't imagine not missing you, every minute, every hour, every day. I don't know if it will get any easier. I hope it does... but I hope you know that if I cry fewer tears, that doesn't mean I love you any less..."

This book is beautifully written... I don't think anyone has ever captured grief so honestly. The pain and suffering, the anger and sadness, and the guilt of trying to move on. Emi suffers so much with what she "should" feel.

I don't remember being concerned at all for our baby. I don't know why. And I feel guilty.

"...there is no timeline for grief, no one-size-fits-all plan for healing. Everyone has different needs..."





Book 3- Never Look Back

I LOVE Jack and I REALLY did not want to.  I had an idea in book one where this series was going, even before the big accident in book two(which shocked me senseless).  Selene and I were reading at the same time and I remember messaging her and telling her that I was pissed off and knew exactly where this magical kiss was taking this story and that I would not accept Jack.  *Open mouth, insert big fat foot!*

In Never Look Back Jack and Emi have a lot of issues to work through.  One major bomb is dropped on Emi and I found myself wondering how much pain one heart could take.  But, where book two ripped my heart to shreds; Never Look Back slowly put the pieces back together.   Please don't give up on this series after book two.  I really feel like Never Look Back is needed to heal the hurt you will no doubt experience in Time Stands Still.




I have seriously NEVER been so emotionally connected to a story.  Fantastic series.. amazingly beautiful characters.. heart felt writing.. Just beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment