Wednesday, April 9, 2014

MUD VEIN BY TARRYN FISHER



Mud Vein
by Tarryn Fisher

  




 



Reviewed by Selene

5  - RIP MY HEART OUT - SMOOCHES


“The truth is for the mind”, he says. “Lies are for the heart. So let’s just keep lying.” 

 The more books I read, the clearer it has become that I have a soft spot for tragically flawed heroines. The more messed up, the more broken, the more shit life has thrown their way the more I will love them. And all I will want to do is sit and cry with them …. cry for them. And man, oh, man did I cry for Senna. In fact, three days later, I’m still crying for her. 

I’m not going to say anything to give any aspect of this story away … the less you know about the plot going in, the better. So please bear with my vagueness. 

 Senna Richards is a successful author. She hides behind her words and lives a solitary life. She has isolated herself … no friends, no family … and for some reason she prefers that. Senna is quirky, odd, self-destructive and, truth be told, has a few screws loose. The story is told mostly from her point of view so we really get inside her head. And it’s heart-breaking. She is prisoner of herself …. held captive by her inability to relate to people and express her feelings. 
 “I am an animal, bent on surviving.  I let nothing in.  I let nothing out.” 
The fact that life keeps throwing her shit storm after shit storm does not help. 

This book is Senna’s journey. Part of that journey includes two very different men, Nick and Isaac.   I fell in love with Isaac.
“Tell me a lie, Isaac.”
His fingertips trace a curlicue on my shoulder. 
“I don’t love you….”
Tell me a truth, Senna.”
“I don’t know how,” I breathe.
“Then tell me a lie.”
“I don’t love you,” I say. 
I am crossing everything crossable on my body that Tarryn writes a companion piece from Isaac’s POV, specifically covering the end of the book. Seriously, I HAVE to know what was going on with him. I need Isaac’s POV to accept the way the story ends (I’m still in denial). 

Mud Vein is both beautiful and heart-breaking. For me, it was more heart-breaking than beautiful but it doesn't diminish the beauty that is there. Not by a long shot.  It is truly a gift to be able to move a reader the way Tarryn has moved me.  This book will stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment