Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Twosome Tuesday: Nocturnes

Nocturnes
Hard Rock Harlots #3
Kendall Grey


Released November 30, 2013

Synopsis:
 NOCTURNES contains 511 F-bombs, 81 well-endowed male chickens, 65 girl kitties, 58 Richard the Lessers, 10 C-U-Next-Tuesdays, and a plethora of other colorful words and phrases that would deafen your virginal mother’s ears and make her bust out her “Shame on you!” finger. If you’ve been tuned in since the beginning of the Hard Rock Harlots series, you know the drill. The sex is extreme, the language is graphic, and the story is over the top. Prudes and under 18s need not apply.

WARNING: NOCTURNES addresses serious topics such as alcoholism, prostitution, and cheating. If you’re looking for a barrel of laughs or sunshine and rainbows, this is NOT the book for you.

Rax Wrathbone is the dirty rock star you love to hate. The filthy fantasy slithering through your bed sheets. The serpent in your lady garden. The snake bite in your panties that keeps you sweating all night. He. Is. Sex.

And he’s no good. For anyone.

After a nasty breakup with his best friend and their band’s drummer, Rax is flying solo for the first time in years. Who needs the drama of commitment when the line for your humping booth spans three city blocks? No, groupies and liquor are far finer company than relationships, and they don’t leave bruises after they’ve had their way with you. At least not lasting ones.

Rax’s new adventures as an alcoholic, guitar-slashing one-man show are going along swimmingly until the only woman who’s ever brought him to his knees shimmies down a pole back into his life. Eve doesn’t abide excessive drinking, she has sex with strangers for a living, and she can’t remember Rax’s name to save her life.

She’s perfect in every way.

Now, if he could just get sober long enough to forget his past and convince Eve he’s worthy of her future…




Purchase Nocturnes: 

The Hard Rock Harlots series - books 1 and 2
Strings
Beats

Reviews: 

Heather's Review 
4- dirty smooches!
 
Nocturnes is book three in the Hard Rock Harlots Series by Kendall Grey.  It is Rax’s book and like Rax it is a whole lot of fudged up.  Rax was left a drunken mess at the end of Beats and is still throughout Nocturnes.  He is heart-broken.  He is lost.  He is self-destructing… quickly.  Rax has lost his very best friend and a huge part of who he is.

“To the world, I’m a god.  An idol worshipped by thousands.  People see the thin layer of gold leaf at the surface and assume I’m a solid twenty-four carats through and through.  If they knew the real person under the glam, they’d be sorry they wasted their money…I trick them into believing what they see, knowing what’s underneath ain’t nothin’ but cheap plastic.  Gilded fucking junk.  The illusion is everything, especially when it’s founded on nothing.”  ~Rax
*sniff sniff*  Poor Rax!  Yes I managed to feel sorry for the mess that is Rax!  Point for Kendall!

In Beats Rax met a stripper named Lola that he has not been able to get out of his head.  He runs into her again and she remains his obsession.  Rax sort of stalks her… Lola is working as a stripper and prostitute at a club called Nocturnes, in New Orleans, where Killer Buzz Float is recording their album.  Lola a.k.a. Eve is a mess of her own.  She is completely alone in the world and justifies her lifestyle by convincing herself that her deceased parents would be proud of her for dancing, something they always wanted for her.  When she finds herself in a bind one night at work, she calls on Rax and so begins their wild ride of a relationship.

“I’ve found my soul mate in a self-centered, alcoholic rock star.  The irony is too much to bear.” ~Eve
Nocturnes is without doubt the darkest of the three books.  Rax has hit rock bottom and doesn’t seem to want or know how to climb out. To say that he and Eve’s relationship is unhealthy would be putting it mildly.  These two are seriously effed up.  This book is not light.  It is raw, gritty, and dirty.  True to Kendall’s style there are some outrageous scenes that will have you google imaging… or having your BFF do it for you ;)  The opening… HOLY CRAPOLA!  I won’t say more…  just I can’t UNSEE that!  While I did enjoy this book, it was my least favorite of the three.  I don’t know what it was exactly… maybe too dirty for my taste??… and I don’t mean sexually.  Rax was a drunken slob throughout and though I felt bad for him.  It took all of the sexy out for me.  Still it was a 4 smooch read and I just can’t get enough of Kendall’s writing!  Who else can combine raw emotion with such hilarity so perfectly?  Kendall is a naughty little poet and I love her!

“Everyone deserves happiness Rax.  Even the lowest of the low.  Even us.” ~Eve



Selene's Review

4.5 "Triple" SMOOCHES

“Everyone deserves happiness, Rax.  Even the lowest of the low.  Even us.”  - Eve


I love the warnings that accompany each book of the Hard Rock Harlots series.  They may make you chuckle but, trust me, do not take them lightly.  They are there for a reason.  This series is not for everyone …. these books are crass, crude, offensive, vulgar and sexually enlightening (but not always in a good way).  They are also, however, hilarious, inspiring, heart-warming, a little sad at times but above all entertaining.  I personally was a huge fan of this series before Nocturnes and I’m an even bigger fan afterwards.

We watched Rax Wrathbone hit rock bottom in Beats.  He spends the better part of this book there as well.  I really do have to point out that I need to pretend what happened between Rax and Jinx at the end of Beasts didn’t really happen.  If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to form any kind of attachment to Rax.  And he is attachment-worthy this time around.

Rax’s band, Killer Buzz Float, is in New Orleans recording new material and NOLA is the perfect setting for his self-loathing, alcoholic pity party.   He spends his nights drinking in strip clubs which is where he sees her again …. the stripper of his dreams he first saw in Jacksonville.  Her name is Lola and she dances at a club called Nocturnes.  She also moonlights in the private VIP area of the club called Heaven where men pay A LOT of money to do WHATEVER they want to the girls that work there.  It’s not pretty (which is why the girls call it Hell).   Lola sees it as a way to earn enough money to better her life so she’s willing to do what she has to do.

Despite everything that makes a relationship for them next to impossible, Eve (Lola’s real name) and Rax form a bond they struggle to walk away from.  What starts as one night of sex turns into more and before you know it they are both in over their heads. 
“You don’t have to say goodbye in the morning.  Might be better if you don’t.  But give me one more night.  Eve needs one more night with you, Rax.  Drunk or sober.  Sex or not.  Just hold me until the sun comes up.  Then we’ll both be free.”  - Eve
Rax is a drunk jerk for most of this book but there are moments from Rax that made my heart smile.
As we walk toward the car, his pinkie hooks mine.  I almost trip over my feet.  Such a small, sweet gesture from a big, damaged guy.


“I never close my eyes when I’m kissing you.  I don’t want to miss a single second.” – Rax
So much of Nocturnes is depressing and just plain sad.  To witness Rax’s battle with himself and the bottle broke my heart.
“I’m trying.  I’m trying to find a reason to get sober.  To stop being an asshole to everyone I meet.  To quit being a selfish prick.  But I can’t.  The only person I care about besides myself is you … But even you aren’t enough.” - Rax
Rax struggles to find his happiness but will he find it in his music or in the bottom of a liquor bottle?

Once again, Kendall has rocked my world.  Nocturnes may have been heavy at times and hard to read but it was worth it.  The thing I love most is that even though it is sad and even though alcoholism, prostitution, and violence are not laughing matters, this book is funny and entertaining.   I. Can.  Not. Wait. for more of these characters …. word on the street is that Kendall is currently working on something from Toombs point of view.

This Housewife is happy!



Housewive's Commentary
These are snippets of actual conversations while reading Nocturnes and will contain typos.  We have a guest housewife again, the LOVELY Brandi with Sugar and Spice Book Reviews!








*google image*


 

No comments:

Post a Comment